Steve McConnell (@stevemconstrux) joined me (@RyanRipley) to discuss #NoEstimates, how estimates help teams collaborate with stakeholders, and what professional estimation looks like on an agile team.
[featured-image single_newwindow=”false”]Steve McConnell – CEO of Construx[/featured-image]
Steve is the CEO of Construx Software. He is the author of many award winning books including: Code Complete, Rapid Software Development, and Software Estimation: Demystifying the Black Art. He blogs at 10x Software Development and widely acknowledged as a thought leader in estimation, software requirements, and software development.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- A critical view of #NoEstimates concepts
- How estimation can help foster collaboration between stakeholders and developers
- What estimation practices looks like in the context of a Scrum team
- Strategies you can use to avoid bad estimation practices
Links from the show:
- Steve’s Brain Cast Video on #NoEstimates
- 1st Response to Steve’s Video by Ron Jeffries
- Steve’s 17 Theses on Software Estimation
- Ron Jeffries Response to the 17 Theses
- On-Demand Training Courses from Steve and Construx
[callout]Often referred to as the “black art” because of its complexity and uncertainty, software estimation is not as difficult or puzzling as people think. In fact, generating accurate estimates is straightforward—once you understand the art of creating them. In his highly anticipated book, acclaimed author Steve McConnell unravels the mystery to successful software estimation—distilling academic information and real-world experience into a practical guide for working software professionals.
Click here to purchase on Amazon.[/callout]
[reminder]What are your views on #NoEstimates and Estimation? Please let us know in comments section below.[/reminder]
Want to hear about the life of an agile coach? — Listen to my conversation with Zach Bonaker, Diane Zajac-Woodie, and Amitai Schlair on episode 39. We discuss growing an agile practice and how coaches help create the environments where agile ideas can flourish.
One tiny favor. — Please take 30 seconds now and leave a review on iTunes. This helps others learn about the show and grows our audience. It will help the show tremendously, including my ability to bring on more great guests for all of us to learn from. Thanks!
This podcast is brought to you by Audible. I have used Audible for years, and I love audio books. I have three to recommend:
- Agile and Lean Program Management by Johanna Rothman
- Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time by Jeff Sutherland
- The Lean Startup by Eric Ries
All you need to do to get your free 30-day Audible trial is go to Audibletrial.com/agile. Choose one of the above books, or choose between more than 180,000 audio programs. It’s that easy. Go to Audibletrial.com/agile and get started today. Enjoy!
The post AFH 052: Software Estimation with Steve McConnell [PODCAST] appeared first on Ryan Ripley.